At the time, Ms. Kendrick, who is from Maine, lived with her father and older brother in Yonkers. Since then she has grown into a promising adult actress, with roles in the musical theater-inspired �Camp,� the wildly popular �Twilight� franchise and �Up in the Air.� Her latest role is as the no-nonsense sister to Michael Cera�s dreamy garage-band lothario in �Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.�
The Journal spoke with Ms. Kendrick, who turned 25 on Monday.
Wall Street Journal: You attended Comic-Con recently to promote �Scott Pilgrim vs. the World,� which is based on a comic book. What�s the convention like?
Ms. Kendrick: Comic-Con was awesome. It�s like geeks take over the city of San Diego. [They're] in their element and really shining.
WSJ: Speaking of geeks, movies like �High School Musical� and shows like �Glee� have made musical theater cool among kids in recent years. Was that the case when you were in high school?
Ms. Kendrick: We were total freaks. It was not cool. I did not get any street cred for doing theater at my school.
WSJ: So when you were younger, where did the motivation to act come from?
Ms. Kendrick: Why does a six year old kid want to play soccer? I think it�s the same thing. You just want to be on stage. That�s the only thing that matters. You don�t worry about the motivation for that.
WSJ: What was it like to be a 12-year-old stage actress in New York?
Ms. Kendrick: I went down on the bus with my brother and we would sort of like be running around New York. When I was doing that show and doing auditions, we were staying in New York by ourselves. We thought we were pretty rad. I guess it�s strange, because I get these gasps of horror when I say that I went to New York with my brother or by myself when I was really young from Maine. But kids live in New York. It was like a magical place for us. We didn�t think it was that big a deal.
WSJ: If you were writing a manual for other young actors titled �How to Survive Awards Season,� what would be your advice?
Ms. Kendrick: To not worry about the fact that the thing you probably care most about in the world�your performance and your work�is being reduced to a soundbite about lip gloss. You�re going to be on red carpets and the only thing they�re going to ask you about are your shoes.
WSJ: When you�re involved in a cultural phenomenon like �Twilight,� does someone from the movie studio sit you down and prepare you?
Ms. Kendrick: Nobody ever really sat me down. I understand that, because people react differently to that kind of thing. I�m glad that the paparazzi haven�t followed me. It�s amazing the way from the outside you can think that there must be something kind of cool or glamorous about it. The very few times it�s happened to me, it�s so terrifying.
source via AnnaKendrickFan
No comments:
Post a Comment