Every other review and movie site has made some sort of reference to �The Social Network� being a film that defines this generation. Some are arguing against the claim, but it�s still an idea that�s out there on people�s minds. Having finally seen the Facebook-origins tale, I�m more in agreement that it is very representative and reflective of at least the zeitgeist of the group known as the Generation Y (aka the Millennials, Generation Next, the Net Generation, and the Echo Boomers). It�s hard to say why without insulting an entire population of Americans born over a fifteen year period, so let�s just say it gets that group of people who grew up with the Internet, social media and a dwindling concern for and interest in privacy.
But what do we mean when we say something defines a generation? What makes �Rebel Without a Cause,� and �The Breakfast Club� define their generations? Is it something that is marked by the people or something that marks them? Is it something that best exemplifies or best interprets or best generalizes? I believe it should be something popular, but not something too popular. In an attempt to figure it out, I�ve come up with a list of other possible films that define this generation. I should note that I am not a member of this generation, so I very well could have it pegged all wrong. Please do correct me wherever applicable.
2. �Twilight� (2008)
There may not have been the �Twilight� movies without the prior success of the �Harry Potter� series, but there�s just no leaving it off this list. When asked what Generation Y is all about, a friend answered �blowjobs and vampires.� Sounds about right. I think �The Social Network� has the bjs down, but there are no (literal) bloodsuckers. So here you go, Twi-hards, another list with your favorite franchise represented.
thanks to pattinsonstew
No comments:
Post a Comment