Sunday, December 19, 2010
Moviehole Interview: Anna Kendrick talks "Twilight" & "Scott Pilgrim"
For Anna Kendrick, there�s one key difference between �Twilight� and �Scott Pilgrim vs. the World� � she got to actually participate in some of the innovative special effects sequences in the latter. Moviehole chats to the young Oscar Nominee (for �Up in the Air�) about her role in Edgar Wright�s �Scott Pilgrim vs. The World�, now available on DVD and Blu-ray.
How did you respond to Stacey when you first read the script?
Edgar just asked me to read for Stacey and I guess I was the only person that actually went in for her. I�m not sure what it was that about me that screamed �little sister�, but maybe it�s because I am a little sister and I�ve been a disapproving voice in my older brother�s life for as long as I can remember. I don�t think I�ve ever played a character quite as close to myself.
Was that fun for you?
It�s easy! It�s that right combination of snarky but caring. I especially love the scene on the swings where you get the slightest glimmer that she�s trying to say �I�m here for you� but even that is like a very gentle pat on the back. It�s not like a big emotional moment. It�s perfect for a brother/sister relationship, because that�s exactly the relationship I have with my brother. It�s not touchy-feely, it�s just enough to say I�m here for you and then she�s gone. That�s as much as we can muster emotionally.
But that still feels very real�
Definitely. If it had been this big cathartic moment, it would have run really false.
Were you that aware of Bryan Lee O�Malley�s comic book before you got the part?
I wasn�t. I�m not cool enough to read an awesome indie comic book like Scott Pilgrim. Edgar sent it to me before we met about Stacey and I was so impressed with the originality of it. Especially how Bryan could create this world where you get to do the thing we all want to do in real life, like beat up our new girlfriend�s ex-boyfriends in front of all our friends.
Were you jealous of the guys who got to train to fight? Did you go along?
I wasn�t there for the fight training. I was shooting Twilight: Eclipse and Up In The Air, so I didn�t get to do any of it. I was really jealous when I saw the film of all the people who got to fight. But when you�re on set and you see poor Satya Bhabha in a harness for hours and hours, you do not feel envy at all!
What was your reaction to the movie when you first saw it?
It�s incredible. The way that it all comes together and is so tight. For a seven-month shooting schedule, it�s amazing to see how fast a movie feels when shooting was that slow!
Was it a slow process shooting all the big fight effects scene?
I definitely learned that the more exciting a scene is, the more tedious it is to shoot! It made me long for just sitting in a room just having a conversation with somebody and just shooting two angles. But obviously it�s all worth it. It is that thing where you sit around for two hours, then you see the coolest thing you�ve ever seen, someone flying through the air on a harness, flipping and singing a Bollywood song and then it�s another two hours of nothing� It�s this abrupt shooting style, like a joust.
Did your experience on something like �Twilight� make it easier?
In the Twilight films, my character is really not aware of the supernatural world. I don�t get to watch that being shot, so on this one it was fun to react to these fight scenes almost as though it�s not really happening. The fact that they�re flipping through the air and throwing fireballs isn�t that unnerving in the Scott Pilgrim world. After that you just kind of go back to what you were doing. So that was interesting. Shooting Twilight got me used to being in the background for three weeks and then saying my one line and then going back to the background again!
Read more:moviehole via Mel452
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment