Sunday, November 15, 2009

New Moon director Chris Weitz: Fan mania might have scared me off



New Moon director Chris Weitz: If I�d known how intense fan mania was I might have turned down movie




New Moon director Chris Weitz has revealed how fan mania reached fever pitch when thousands turned out to watch New Moon being shot in Italy.



In an interview with Chuck the Movieguy, The Golden Compass director who replaced Catherine Hardwicke at the helm for the follow up to Twilight saga also joked that if he�d known what to expect he might never have come on board.



�Nobody warned me [about the level of interest from fans].Because that might have scared me away from doing the movie,�� he laughed.



�Once word got out that we were shooting in Montepulciano 10,000 fans descended upon the city and the towns all around renting all the hotel rooms. [There were fans] waiting in every single alleyway and street.



But the nice thing is they were all really keen to get the movie done, so they�re very quiet while you�re shooting and when you finish shot they applaud which is a really good feeling.�



Weitz also revealed how he managed to make his mark on the movie while still being true to the source material.



�There are about a thousand decisions a day you make as a director and all of these decisions add up eventully to some sort of visual style.



Even the book doesn�t describe things down to the last possible nail. So as long as I felt that I was being true to what Stephanie Meyer had in term of thematic vision I felt pretty free to improvise, in the way someone who was dreaming it up as a fan reading the book would.



Weitz director brother Paul already has a vampire movie Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant on general release. But Chris claims it's just a coincidence.



"We hadn�t planned it all," he said."About a week before I was offered the chance to direct New Moon I was actually complaining about how many vampire movies there are."

Source: STV

No comments:

Post a Comment