Sunday, January 24, 2010

Kristen Stewart on playing Joan Jett vs. 'Twilight's' Bella: Whose team is she on?


When it comes down to playing a beloved real life character versus a beloved fictional one, Kristen Stewart declares herself Team Joan over Team Bella. Stewart, who plays Joan Jett in the new biopic �The Runaways,� says she felt a tremendous personal responsibility to capture Jett�s essence.
�Bella�s effect on the world wasn�t necessarily as great as Joan�s, obviously, and I never got to meet Bella,� Stewart said. �It�s completely different. All these people who have an investments in these women, that�s awesome�but when it becomes personal and it�s my responsibility to not destroy, like, what people are going to take from the most important part of my friend�s life� Joan has become really, a really big part. She�s awesome and I really love her. If we hadn�t told the story right, people don�t know the Runaways in our generation. Because they�re going to see them through us, it�s a much different experience than making an original fictional story.�
Speaking of Bella, even though she hasn�t seen �Eclipse,� the third installment of �Twilight� yet, Stewart gives high marks to director David Slade�s style on the film, which will come out this summer. �He�s a very technical director. Very. Very. He�s very thoughtful. I think it�s going to be cool for �Twilight,� like, shotwise. He�s very conceptual. He really, really takes a lot of time to�you�re not going to see, like, a bunch of Steadicam. It�s very deliberate, which is very cool. It gives you more time to think about what you�re doing. I don�t know [the tone] because I haven�t seen the movie.�
On �The Runaways,� Stewart felt an instant connection to Jett, in part because they both experienced stardom from an early age. �We have been professional [from] a young age, which is hard, but her [in] such a different way,� said Stewart during a press roundtable at Sundance for �The Runaways.� �Like the biggest adversity I face is bloggers and [Jett] had people throwing bottles in her face and saying, like, �Sit down, you ugly loudmouth.� To see how assured she is now and that she wasn�t always like that and it actually took a lot� And what she has now is a really, really, really thick armor and you see that happen in the movie. That�s what I wanted to do�She�s a survivor and at the same time she demands to live her life the way she�d like to. She�s a very smart inspiring person.�
Stewart played guitar before filming started, but wasn�t prepared for the rigors of playing in the movie. �We all had two weeks that we had band practice where all of the girls came in. They played the songs that we recorded, I think there was five or six that we had to have done. They played them over a speaker, but then we were like trying to play as a band to it. It�s exhausting, especially with the guitar. I would be exhausted at the end of a rehearsal.. I�d be like, �Oh my shoulder is killing me.� So it�s no surprise that even though she sings very capably in the film, Stewart said she had no plans to record her own album.

HitFix

No comments:

Post a Comment