Exclu�sive inter�view with Franck Ragaine in Los Angeles
It�s in Bev�erly Hills that a short haired, relaxed, smil�ing and some�times amused Robert Pat�tin�son met with us to speak about Eclipse, the third install�ment in the Twi�light Saga, where he again takes the role that made him a star.
Since the begin�ning you�ve been com�pared to James Dean, does that flat�ter you?
I don�t know� In fact I�ve decided to take it as a com�pli�ment. But I know that I can never take the place of a James Dean. Fur�ther�more the world of movies have changed so much, peo�ple like James Dean and Mar�lon Brando don�t exist any�more. At the time their name alone allowed them to have con�trol on a movie. Today that�s not the case!
Aren�t you scared that you�ll be Edward forever?
If I under�stand cor�rectly I�ll always be com�pared to some�one else. In fact I�ve real�ized that the quote �The salary of an actor depends on the suc�cess of his last movie� is quite true.
Does the fact that you�re pigeon�holed into the skin of this char�ac�ter scare you?
This com�par�i�son seems to decrease as the films go. Fans don�t see me like that anymore. Contrarily to the first movie they can dif�fer�en�ti�ate my char�ac�ter and me. At the start when I did pub�lic appear�ances, for them I was Edward 100%. I could read it in their eyes. Many lacked con�trol which scared me. Every�thing has changed and now when I do inter�views I am as hon�est and sin�cere as pos�si�ble. I�m not Edward and I make sure it shows.
Besides every�thing else you play with medias, like when you recently said that Kris�ten Stew�art (his part�ner in Twi�light) was pregnant.�
The only times I answer like that is to avoid manip�u�la�tion that medias can some�times do. If I don�t reply seri�ously, they can�t attack me seri�ously either. It�s a tactic!
In three years you must have read and heard every�thing about yourself?
Incred�i�ble things! I�d have slept with so many peo�ple and made so many girls preg�nant� But after a while, the pub�lic doesn�t believe what�s said any�more and they tell them�selves that it�s not real. Thankfully!
Do you read fan mail?
Some�times. I think that cer�tain let�ters don�t get to me. I�m sur�prised I haven�t received death threats (smiles).
What is the most inde�cent pro�posal you�ve received from a fan?
I will keep that a secret as it was so inde�cent I doubt she was in her nor�mal state of mind when she made it.
The fun�ni�est experience?
It was recently. It hap�pened while I was film�ing �Water for Ele�phants in which my part�ner is Reese With�er�spoon. We had a scene with ele�phants but there were so many paparazzi around that it was scar�ing the ani�mals and it was impos�si�ble to film. Out of the blue, fans, that were wait�ing for auto�graphs, had enough and cir�cled around the paparazzi. Teens made big guys run away. It was unreal! I was pleased.
In Eclipse you play Edward for the third time. Do you fear you�ll repeat yourself?
The more I become famil�iar with the role, the more I try to do new things and take risks. You can�t be scared to go on unknown areas. The prob�lem with Edward is that he doesn�t age, there�fore it doesn�t make the task easy. Because for a human being grow�ing older brings on many possibilities.
But the rela�tion�ship between him and Bella changed in this third installment?
Dur�ing the first two movies, his only worry was if he wanted to make a life with her. Now that he�s made the deci�sion to marry her, there�fore accept�ing a life in a more human form, it changes every�thing. He must face the world of the liv�ing more than the immor�tal one. It adds a com�plex�ity that�s inter�est�ing to play.
With the salaries you get did you do crazy things like buy the car of your dreams?
No, I don�t have a pas�sion for car, I don�t see the point in spend�ing my money on a car. Even clothes, I don�t care much, I wear the same things all the time. But I did buy myself a few guitars.
scans translation via
No comments:
Post a Comment