Monday, January 10, 2011

SpinOff: "Robert Pattinson Choice to Be Part of �Cosmopolis� is Smart"

Photobucket

Robert Pattinson, the dreamy-eyed, debatably talented star of the �tween sensation Twilight series has nailed down his first post-vampire role, and it�s a bit of a coup. The actor will star in acclaimed director David Cronenberg�s adaptation of the Don DeLillo novel Cosmopolis, Deadline reports. The work of near-future fiction follows a young moneymaker (Pattinson) as he ends up being the target of an assassination after making a risky business decision.

I say �debatably talented� because, frankly, the jury�s still out on Pattinson from where I�m sitting. While I respect what the Twilight movies represent in terms of widening the reach and appeal of geek culture� they�re really not very good. I�m not familiar enough with Stephenie Meyer�s books to place the blame squarely in that direction, but it certainly feels like a failure on the ensemble level. The scripts, performances, cinematography, visual effects� it all feels like pop filmmaking in its lowest form, a series of low-budget spectacle-driven blockbusters. I understand the appeal, but I�m not willing to pass judgment on any of the cast based on their involvement in the series.

Pattinson has already stepped outside the Twilight fold a couple of times, notably playing artist Salvador Dali in Little Ashes and the lead role of Jacob Jankowski in director Francis Lawrence�s upcoming adaptation of the Sara Gruen novel, Water For Elephants. Cosmopolis will be his first role after the two-part telling of Breaking Dawn, Twilight�s final chapter, wraps.

All negativity aside, this is a cool bit of casting and a smart move for the actor. Whether or not he can bring what is needed to the role remains to be seen, but working with a filmmaker as talented as Cronenberg on a high-profile adaptation will certainly put Pattinson�s skills to the test. And honestly, no matter how the movie turns out, there�s something to be said for the fact that this casting news will certainly inspire Pattinson�s more ardent supporters to go out and buy a Don DeLillo book. Anything that gets the kids of the world reading quality fiction is okay by me.


No comments:

Post a Comment